Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hell Week

Early morning rising
Wake up you sleepy girl
Dragging myself out of bed
I drain a bowl of cereal

It's music in the morning
And a little running
Windy days outside
Lacrosse, oh the screaming
Then I'm stuck in Biology
Soft, wrinkled skin and snouts
Piglets in breathless sleep
Edging forward into lunch time
After dissections though, my appetite wanes

Regina Spektor and the Emcee tiptoeing around those numbers
The equations and solutions in math class
The only time this week that anything makes sense
A definite answer, a method
I love it

And then study hall
Blue filter of daylight
That room's almost empty

And then it's time for rehearsal
Or, not quite
A gathering in the black box
Stretches
Then a patch of free time 
Waiting for dinner
Everyone's too noisy

Time to stand in a long line
For food purchased in bulk
And then I'm finished
I slip into my costume
And hurry upstairs
What a soft couch

Another patch of time
I am waiting ... waiting
Then rehearsal begins

Flashes of skin and sparkles
Unwilling feet pinched into too tight shoes
Cheers, tears, kisses
Freeze

Quiet in the wings
Clap for the orchestra
Hang up your costumes
And then there's more waiting
In the hallway

It's 10pm 
We climb into the car
City lights whiz by
Faces stare down at me from billboards
Snow Plows Dump Bodies
And sometimes I'm funny
And sometimes I'm mean
And sometimes I struggle to sort
The thoughts I feel from the words I say

In any case, I stumble through the side door of that house
Chip away at that library book that's way overdue
Then I flick off the light and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment