Tuesday, March 31, 2009

By Choice

A puppet dances and a puppet says
Whatever you want her to
Until
She catches a glimpse 
In the mirror, herself
She cuts her strings for freedom
And falls to the floor
Slumping in angles she never did before
But at her own will
Until
She wants something else
So you tie her back up
Knotting the clipped strings together
And she is glad
For something more than the independent stationary

To be kind to herself
She forgets what she saw in the mirror
Unblinking eyes, clacking knees and elbows
Strings guided by a hand, far away
A shadow, an illusion
It was nothing but a night haunt
Silly to think of it as anything else.

1 comment:

  1. Woah... I am amazed and totally confused.

    I love the first few lines because the puppet seems to be content, until she looks in the mirror. I'm just wondering what she saw there. I also love the last three lines, because it seems that maybe the puppet is dismissing what just happened? Maybe she's going back to being content, despite being a puppet?

    I don't know, I'm probably messing everything up, but I think this is one of your best!

    ReplyDelete