Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Dear Universe,

Today
Another day checked off
On the calendar of my residence
In this body
One day less
One breath closer
To my inevitable departure
Is life a soft lit candle, huffed out too soon
And never revived?
Just incase it isn't, I've composed a few requests.

Assuming I was not horribly wrong about the Bible and get sent strait to hell with all the other spit fire, wild child sinners
I'd like to be reincarnated as a flower
A poppy, perhaps
Wild colors seem to suit me
Delicate, wrinkled, red and orange
Or maybe I could be a tree
A mighty tower
Cracking bark
Flittering foliage
I'd never want to be a Planaria
High school biology is not for me
But I could be a mud puddle in the early spring
Or even a hefty, beast of Alaska
A moose among moose, lumbering in the tundra
Nibbling on greens all day

But, perhaps, I think I might like to be
An abandoned ship in the Bermuda triangle
Stormy seas would toss me
On calm water I would float
And maybe someday I'd slip underneath the blanket of water
And see the extraordinary on the journey downwards. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't quite place it, but something about that poem really hit me. It's beautiful. Thanks for brighting my evening!
    -your poet buddy, Chloe

    ReplyDelete